LGBT Legal Clinic
The QLaw Foundation LGBTQ Legal Clinic offers a free 30-minute consultation with a volunteer attorney. Attorneys determine whether the client has a legal problem, suggest possible options, and provide appropriate referrals. These attorneys will not represent you in court. Our attorneys are specially trained to discuss legal issues commonly faced by members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, and we welcome all clients regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Attorneys may not have expertise in all areas of the law, but they will make every attempt to answer questions accurately.
We can help with any civil legal issue (i.e., not criminal) including, but not limited to:
- Protecting relationships, advising about powers of attorney, etc.
- Protecting parental rights, including adoption options
- Divorce or domestic partnership dissolution
- Debt and bankruptcy problems
- Changing legal name and gender
- Discrimination (employment, housing, insurance, schools, etc.)
- Wills and estate planning
We are not able to:
- Give advice on criminal legal issues
- Provide court representation
- Help those living outside King County, Washington (unless they have a legal issue in King County), but we will try to connect you with resources to assist you
- Give legal advice over the phone or via e-mail (so please do not send us any sensitive information via e-mail or in voicemail)
Consultations are by appointment only. To make an appointment call (206) 267-7070 Tuesday through Thursday from 9:00am- 12:00 pm, and request the QLaw Legal Clinic. The scheduling line receives a high volume of calls so you may experience wait times between 5 to 10 minutes. The QLaw Foundation LGBTQ Legal Clinic is organized by the QLaw Foundation and is one of the King County Bar Association’s Neighborhood Legal Clinics. We would like to thank Seattle Counseling Services (SCS) for its generous support of the clinic.
- Legal Assistance